Freak the Might reading schedule
In case you are absent or do not finish your reading in class, here is the schedule for our final novel:
5/31 Chp 1 and 2
6/1 Chp 3 and 4
6/2 Chp 5
6/5 Chp 6 and 7
6/6 Chp 8 and 9
6/7 Chp 10
6/8 Chp 11
6/9 Chp 12 and 13
6/12 Chp 14 and 15
6/13 Chp 16 and 17
6/14 Chp 18
6/15 Chp 19 and 20
6/16 Pool Party (Chp 21 and 22 if rained out)
6/19 Chp 21 and 22 (Pool Party rain date)
6/20 Chp 23 and 24
6/21 Chp 25
DEAR Marking Period 4
This marking period, students will read two DEAR books again. One will be either Hoot or Flush, which they received prior to spring break. When done, students will complete a two-sided question sheet about the book, and in June we will have a 'book club' day where students will discuss their books with classmates.
The other book should be a nonfiction book. It can be about science, sports, history, a country, etc. A regular book log will be completed on this book, and the genre paragraph this time will be an expository paragraph teaching about the topic of the book.
DEAR timesheets will continue to be due on Mondays, and we will continue to write responses in class on Friday.
1. Take notes. Regular numbered or bulletpointed notes, character list, etc.
2. Write a summary.
3. Talk about the chapter. Paraphrase it (put it in your own words) to someone at home.
4. Illustrate. Use the comic strip technique.
5. Use post-its. Put four or five post-its in the chapter. Use the symbols * (important) ! (interesting/exciting) C (connection) L (learned something new) ? (a question).
6. Make a prediction or connection.
7. Write a response paragraph (what you like, don't like, etc.)
8. Retread confusing parts;make a list of new words with their definitions.