DEAR Marking Period 3
As we progress through sixth grade, we should be increasing our reading speed and skill. For marking period 3, students will be required to read two independent books. One is free-choice; the only requirements are that it be something they haven't read before and appropriate for their reading level. The other is a biography or autobiography. We have gone to the IMC and many students have already selected biographies or autobiographies that we approved for them.
DEAR timesheets will continue to be due on Mondays, and we will continue to write responses in class on Friday.
1. Take notes. Regular numbered or bulletpointed notes, character list, etc.
2. Write a summary.
3. Talk about the chapter. Paraphrase it (put it in your own words) to someone at home.
4. Illustrate. Use the comic strip technique.
5. Use post-its. Put four or five post-its in the chapter. Use the symbols * (important) ! (interesting/exciting) C (connection) L (learned something new) ? (a question).
6. Make a prediction or connection.
7. Write a response paragraph (what you like, don't like, etc.)
8. Retread confusing parts;make a list of new words with their definitions.